High Steaks! A Beef Marketing Competition
Use your creativity and develop a marketing strategy for beef! Learn about agriculture careers, nutrition, and the beef industry. You can win up to $200 and a beef lunch for your classroom. Talk to your teacher and register to participate.
Gobble Up! A Turkey Marketing Competition
Use your creativity and develop a marketing strategy for turkey! Learn about agriculture careers, nutrition, and the turkey industry. You can win up to $200 and a turkey lunch for your classroom. Talk to your teacher and register before October 25 to participate. Contest submissions are due by Nov. 1 and winners will be announced by Nov. 25. UPDATE: Registration deadline has been extended to Nov. 1. Contest submission deadline is now Nov. 8.
Science and Pork
Today's pig farmers and pork producers use a lot of science to determine how to best raise their animals. We want to promote more good science to help propel the industry forward and continue to have pork and pork by-products be an important part of the food supply and agricultural industry. After all, Iowa is #1 in pork production. Iowa students who complete and conduct a science experiment that is related to pigs, pork, pig production, swine care, or in a related subject area will be eligible to receive a $200 scholarship.
A Bushel of Stories
Write a story about agriculture with the potential to become a real, published author! Iowa students in grades 3-8 are welcome to participate in this competition.
Links & Resources
- My American Farm - These interactive games teach agriculture in a whole new and fun way. Players learn where food comes from and how those products get from the farm to their dinner plate.
- C6 Bio Farm - Learn about topics including the environment, sustainability, carbon, agricultural production, bioenergy, and engineering in a fun and interactive way! Download the iPad app and get started!
- Pod to Plate - The place to learn about soybeans and agriculture…from seed to your dinner plate.
- Risk Ranch - Risk Ranch is a fun and fast-paced, single-player game challenging you to take on the role of a modern day farmer and bring your steer to market. Avoid risks, allocate your coins wisely and purchase Futures to protect your investment…It’s up to you to safely raise your steer and make a profit in a totally new world!
- Ag Facts - Doing research for a state reports assignment? Look no further!
- Plant Nutrition Academy - Ever wonder what a plant needs to grow? Fun games and so much more. Check them out!
- My Food Science Lab - Help keep food safe for consumers and learn basic lab techniques and practices along the way!
- Journey 2050 - Enjoy a virtual simulation that explores world food sustainability. Make decisions that impact society, the environment and the economy at a local and global scale. Experience the lives of three farm families in Kenya, India, and Canada. Our Journey to feeding the world has started. Join us.
- Farmers 2050: Grow crops, raise livestock, craft and sell goods and engage with local and global partners as you level up. Feeding the world relies on balancing your economic, social and environmental sustainability so strive to be a leader. Along the way, real farmers from across the world will show you what they are doing on their farms.
- Agriculture Product Puzzle
- Farm Fact Finder
- Where is Agriculture coloring sheet
- Feeding the Future Provide a corn crop with the nutrients it needs to grow. Ready. Set. Grow!
- Crops, Plants, and More: Learn About Farming! - A collection of resources that help you understand some of the basics of agriculture.
- Crops Feed the World: Crops feed the World is an online resources that is available for anyone to use. To access click the link for an article about the program, within the article is a link to the ISU Moodle. Participants will need to crate an account. After logging in, click 4-H programs, and Crops feed the World is the first option. Each unit has its own lesson plan, hand-on and online components.
- ABCs of Corn: Students will learn a lot about CORN while reading verses, Corn Facts, doing Internet or Field Research, or Give your Opinion.