Links & Downloads
- National Agriculture in the Classroom
- Pizz-A-Thon - Pizz-A-Thon is an easy to
implement, multi-day curriculum that engages students
in exciting team activities to create and market a
pizza business. Students explore, experiment and
discover - linking food to careers, farming, soil and
conservation. It employs critical thinking skills and
- Farm to School: Growing Minds -
Great lesson plans make any new classroom project a
cinch! These Farm to School activities are easily
incorporated into state and national curriculum.
- From the Ground Up: The Science of Soil -
Make science relevant for your students with a topic
that affects them every day – soil. Discovery Education
and Nutrients for Life Foundation have loads of
interactive lesson plans available to help students
learn about the science of soil. Plus, any resources
ordered are free of charge.
- Addressing Misconceptions in
Agriculture - Take a look at some of the common
misconceptions about agriculture and discover the truth
- Market to Market - Iowa Public
Television connecting students and educators with
stories about the business, technology, and science of
agriculture. Gain a deeper understanding of the people,
issues and events that shape agriculture today!
- Soils for Teachers - Soil plays a vital
role in sustaining human welfare and assuring future
agricultural productivity and environmental stability.
Check out these K-12 lessons to help students learn all
- Journey 2050 - How will we sustainably
feed over 9 billion people by the year 2050? Find out
with this virtual simulation.
- Integrated Pest Management - Find a
compilation of K-12 lessons linking entomology and IPM
to math, science, social studies, and language arts.
- All About Corn - A great series of
interactive online modules with nearly five hours of
programming on everything about corn, targeted to high
school and undergraduate students.
- Iowa Pathways - Iowa Pathways is a
learning environment that challenges students to create
their own story of Iowa history and agriculture as they
explore the people, places, events and ideas. Students
choose topics that interest them as they examine
relationships among Iowa concepts.
- Explore More - Explore More is a resource
for students to unravel issues and make informed
decisions about water quality, genetic energy,
environmental sustainability, and future sources of
energy. Video, interactive simulations, background
essays, webquests and lesson plans help teachers
connect local concepts to the classroom.
- Trouble at Grainly Farms - Can your
students identify and solve the problem at Grainly
Farms? This interactive case study for grades 7-12
incorporates scientific concepts such as natural
selection, adaptation, inheritance of traits,
integrated pest management and nematodes. Students
apply their understanding of scientific concepts and
suggest a plan to deal with the trouble at Grainly
- Beef...It’s What’s for Dinner - The
Iowa Beef Industry Council is pleased to offer highly
qualified peer-reviewed educational materials to Iowa
- Plant Pathways to Science - Keeping
plants healthy is important whether you are a large
scale food producer or a home gardener. Use these
lessons to teach students all about plant diseases and
how to treat them.
- Learning Fields - Living History
Farms provides a digital way to learn how agriculture
has changed over the past 300 years in Iowa. Explore
crops, livestock, power, and people in agriculture.
Silos - Online educational resource for grades 4-8
with information related to early agricultural
technology, pioneer farm life, and the story of corn.
- Corn Use Education - Corn takes many forms and gets used in many ways! These basic facts and information for consumers about corn production, processing and uses are great references. Be sure to check out the fun kid’s pages too!
- Everything but the Oink: - It is really important to provide your students with a nutritious and delicious education. To help you teach kids how well pork fits into a balanced and healthy diet, check out these ideas and activities you can use in your classroom, guaranteed to keep them hungry for more!
- Norman Borlaug Heritage Foundation - Help your students celebrate a famous and influential Iowan – Norman Borlaug – who is helped usher in the Green Revolution and save a million lives. Lesson plans, children’s books, and more.
- C6 BioFarm - Biofuels will provide 27% of the world’s transportation fuels by 2050. Learn the difference between new carbon and old carbon with this app based game!
- Science of Agriculture -Short animations, interactives and videos teach math & science concepts crucial to the study of agriculture.
- Blue Not Flu - Animal diseases can be spread between people and animals. These zoonotic diseases can occur when people have close contact with animals. Understand disease risks and learn about preventive measures to reduce the occurrence of zoonotic diseases with these online lessons targeted to middle and high school students.
- PEER Ag Science from Texas A&M - Videos and lessons to dive deeper into many agricultural science topics.
- Beef Quality Assurance – Learn more about beef quality and get certified through free online courses.
- Growing a Nation – An interactive timeline of the history of agriculture in the United States.