Winners Selected in Iowa Gobble Up! Turkey Marketing Competition
West Des Moines, Iowa – December 1, 2022 – The Iowa Agriculture Literacy Foundation (IALF) and the Iowa Turkey Federation are happy to announce the winners of the 2022 Gobble Up! Turkey Marketing Competition.
The contest was open to Iowa students in grades 3-12. Students created marketing plans, including advertisements, cost analyses, and nutrition information, for specific turkey-centric products. The cross-curricular contest helps teachers meet educational standards while students learn about turkey production and nutrition.
“The judges were amazed at how innovative students were at creating new turkey products and designing marketing plans to promote the healthy benefits of turkey, and encourage opportunities to eat turkey year-round,” said Kelly Foss, IALF Executive Director. “It was fun to read through the creative plans and designs and appreciate how inspired students were to work together to learn about turkey.”
The 2022 winners are as follows:
- 1st place: Des Moines Christian School taught by Rhonda Osborn, Turkey Pizza Diner poster.
- 2nd place: Des Moines Christian School taught by Rhonda Osborn, Turkey Talk poster.
- 3rd place: Des Moines Christian School taught by Rhonda Osborn, Iowa’s Funniest Turkeys poster.
Middle School Division:
- 1st place: Waverly-Shell Rock taught by Kristie Kuhse, The Gobbler project.
- 2nd place: Clear Creek Amana taught by Hannah Gorsh, Gobble Gobble! project.
- 3rd place: Waverly-Shell Rock taught by Kristie Kuhse, Big Hot Turkey Tots project.
High School Division:
- 1st place: Dubuque Senior High School taught by Jennifer Gravel, Turkey Turkey Nuggets project.
- 2nd place: Dubuque Senior High School taught by Jennifer Gravel, Turkey BLT project.
- 3rd place: Dubuque taught by Jennifer Gravel, Turkey Sticks project.
“Iowa is an important turkey-producing state,” said Morgan Pothoven of the Iowa Turkey Federation. “This contest helps students understand about the industry and how turkey can be a nutritious part of a balanced diet.”
Contest submissions were due November 7, 2022. Submissions were judged by a panel of industry experts, turkey producers, and educators. Prizes include up to $200, a personalized virtual tour (FarmChat®) of a turkey farm, and first-place classrooms will have a turkey lunch brought to their school sponsored by the Iowa Turkey Federation. The program is funded in part by the Iowa Turkey Marketing Council.
# # #