Winners Selected in High Steaks! Beef Marketing Competition
Des Moines, Iowa – April 18, 2019– The Iowa Agriculture Literacy Foundation has recognized student winners in a cross-curricular program for elementary, middle, and high school students. The experiential learning contest allowed students to creatively develop a marketing strategy for a beef product of their choice, while learning about the multitude of agricultural careers and skills it takes to develop and sell a product.
- 1st Prize: Gilmore City-Bradgate Elementary School taught by Kelsey Wigans. The student team of Graclyn Eastman, Avery Weydert, Lily Hoover, and Kaylee King submitted a poster promoting flank steaks.
- 2nd Prize: Gilmore City-Bradgate Elementary School taught by Kelsey Wigans. The student team of Olivia Dickey, Jayden Marchant, Braxton Osorio, Grady Goddard, and Weston Nielsen created a poster promoting a nutritionally balanced brisket.
3rd Prize: Des Moines Christian School taught by Rhonda Osborn. The student team of Hailey, Lucy, Elizabeth, and Sienna created a poster explaining the nutrition of beef.
Middle School Division:
- 1st Prize: Waverly-Shell Rock taught by Kristie Kuhse. The student team of Carson Reznicek, Brody Mundt, Derek Bienemann, and Shay Doyle created a marketing plan to sell a crab and noodle stuffed filet.
- 2nd Prize: Chariton Middle School taught by Stephanie Lukavsky. The class created a marketing plan to sell a fun meal or snack they called beef batons.
3rd Prize: Waverly-Shell Rock Middle School taught by Kristie Kuhse. The student team of Jordan, Sam, and Alec created a marketing plan to sell beef tacos.
High School Division:
- 1st Prize: Mid-Iowa Youth Beef Team of Marshall County taught by Julie Gray. The student team of Abe Dielman, Lane Lekin, Taylor Lekin, Leah Mosher, Delaney Nichols, Emily Pansegrau, Sydney Parizek, Mark Patten created a marketing plan to sell Zip Strips Beef Jerky.
- 2nd Prize: Wilton Jr Sr High School taught by Gary Bruns. The student team of Kayden Johnson, Spencer Meinert, and Ty Seligman created a marketing plan to sell beef ribeye.
- 3rd Prize: Alta Aurelia Community School taught by Jamie Haugen. The student team of Abby Kraemer and Emily Morse created a marketing plan to sell burger bites.
Contest submissions were due March 15, 2019. Submissions were judged by a panel of industry experts, beef producers, and educators. Prizes include up to $200, a personalized virtual tour (FarmChat®) of a beef farm, and first place classrooms will have a BBQ lunch brought to their school and supplied by the Iowa Beef Industry Council.